UFile believes that smarter tax filing starts with a better conversation. Discover, learn and share all there is to know when it comes to your taxes. Let's talk tax.

Do you have questions about your taxes? Find us on


Never fun! Fortunately you have many options to choose from. You can pay online through your bank, a pre-authorized debit, physically at your bank, via mail or even in person.


Sure, you can file 2014, 2015 and 2016 tax returns electronically with NETFILE. However, for Quebec, you can only NETFILE the current tax year.


Your 2017 tax return needs to be filed on or before April 30, 2018.


Sorry to hear that. If you were living common-law, you must wait 90 days from the date of separation to be considered separated. You will need to advise the CRA once the 90 days have passed of your separation through the RC65 form, in order to recalculate certain benefits, such as the GST credit and the Canada Child Benefit


Absolutely but, you should keep any slips or supporting documents for six years in case the CRA selects your return for review.


Each Canadian files a separate tax return regardless of marital status. However, you have to have certain basic information about your spouse on your return, such as name, SIN and their Net Income. We recommend you produce your tax returns together with a program like UFile in order to maximize any credit transfers allowed under the tax code (donations, pension income,medical expenses etc…). By doing this, you optimize the combined result of your tax return. Who doesn’t want more money in their pockets?


First of all, congratulations! You have to declare your change in marital status right away by phone, online through My Account, or by mail through the RC65 form. When you file your tax return, you must indicate your marital status change as well with a program like UFile.


Absolutely, by applying for it using the form T2201, Disability Tax Credit Certificate. This form must be completed by a medical practi-tioner and approved by the CRA, preferably before you submit your tax return.


The short answer is yes. Your school will give you a tax slip, the T2202A with the total eligi-ble fees paid for the tax year. If you have more than one tax slip, you can claim all amounts more than $100.


This is a refundable tax credit for Quebec home owners that encourages investment in eco-friendly home renovation work.


Auto-fill my return downloads information from your CRA My Account directly into your tax return. UFile puts your data where it belongs in your return for the easiest tax filing ever.

UFile tax blog

The Holiday Gift Guide for Tax-Smart Canadians

'Tis the season of generosity, and there is no better time to give to charitable organizations in need. Giving can be a rewarding experience, but giving to something you care about for someone you love can be even more rewarding. This is especially true in Canada where taxpayers can benefit from making year-end donations with the Charitable Donations Tax Credit – more on that below. If you're considering making a donation as a holiday gift but aren't sure where to start, we’ve rounded up a list of some Canadian registered charities that can help you gift smart by giving in a way that is as meaningful as it is gentle on your wallet.


Not a problem. Sign into the CRA’s My Account service and it will tell you everything you need to know.


That depends. Many people enjoy receiving a tax refund, but getting a tax refund just means you've paid too much throughout the year.


Any eligible or qualified individual can claim a Home Accessibility Tax Credit. For additional details, please visit the CRA’s website.


Before you file your return this year you need to let the CRA (and RQ if you're from Quebec) know about the change. You can do this online through My Account, by mail or over the phone. and


You have a couple of choices. File a T1 Adjustment Request through the T1-ADJ form and mail it, with all relevant slips and receipts, to your tax centre or use CRA’s My Account after you receive your initial assessment.


Yes you can, but since the CRA budget 2017 proposes to eliminate the non-refundable public transit credit as of July 1, 2017, you may only claim the credit for the period of January 1, 2017, to June 30, 2017.


Unfortunately, the answer is no. You cannot deduct the cost of special clothing you wear for work.


This depends on whether or not you have tax to pay. If you don't owe taxes, you won't pay penalties. The CRA will keep your refund and you won't receive any of the credits you're entitled to. If you owe taxes, expect penalty charges and daily interest on any unpaid tax.


With UFile, it’s easy to register for the Direct Deposit. Simply go to the Refund/balance owing section and complete the Change the direct deposit information. Keep in mind that if you need to change your banking in-formation and want to NETFILE, you should contact the Government and have them up-date the information before you NETFILE.


If you can’t pay the taxes you owe right away, don’t delay and contact the CRA as soon as possible. If you don’t pay, the CRA will charge interest on a daily basis on any amount you owe until it is paid in full. Make sure you also file on time so you don’t add penalties to your interest charges. Ignoring the problem will not make it go away.


The CRA generally takes as little as eight business days to process returns filed using NETFILE. Filing by paper can take four to six weeks.


If your new home is at least 40 kilometres closer to your new job you can claim eligible moving expenses, especially handy if your new job is in a different city.


The short answer: probably not. If you do get audited, the CRA is just making sure that what you've reported is 100% accurate. Remember to keep all supporting documents for six years in case the CRA selects your return for review.


You can. But it's not as much fun. Besides, using NETFILE ensures that you get a confirmation when you tax return is received and get your refund faster!


The burning question! The average refund in Canada is $1,600. What are you waiting for?


In most cases, yes. If you are a full-time stu-dent, then the bursary you received is not taxable and not reported in your total in-come. However, if you live in Quebec, the amount must be reported in your total in-come, and deductible afterwards on your tax return.


The solidarity tax credit is available only in Quebec. It’s a refundable credit for low and middle-income families.


In order to receive the solidarity tax credit payment, you must claim it on your Quebec return, by completing Schedule D, meet the eligibility requirements and be registered for Direct Deposit.